This Garvey Park project is a foreshore development that balances restoration and recreation
Location: Ascot, Western Australia
Client: City of Belmont
Time frame: 2010 – Ongoing
Services provided by Syrinx
Bioengineering; Ecological Restoration; Landscape Architecture; Landscape Construction and Maintenance
Project Phases Delivered
1. Strategy & Planning 100%
2. Research & Investigations 100%
3. Concept Design 100%
4. Detailed Design 100%
5. Construction 100%
6. Operation, Maintenance & Monitoring 0%
Project Phases Details
This Garvey Park project is a foreshore development
The project showcases the restoration of and recreational landscape improvements to almost 1km of severely eroded river foreshore and adjacent parklands.
The project’s holistic integration of environmental and recreational outcomes balances foreshore restoration and landscape amenity to stabilise and enhance a sensitive environmental and social asset.
Site-responsive works were undertaken in stages to ensure the concurrent delivery of environmental and social improvement works and to facilitate appropriate public access to the river and foreshore at all times. Collaborations between multiple Syrinx teams led to a range of best practice initiatives in river restoration and improved public amenity.
Innovative bioengineering techniques were employed to control shoreline erosion and create new habitats for local fauna. Recreational enhancements include a new layered pathway network that features universal access ramps, viewing platforms and timber seating integrated into gabion walls.
- Stabilisation of severely eroded foreshore subject to flooding
- Successful showcasing of a range of best practice initiatives in foreshore erosion control
- Integration of environmental and recreational outcomes to protect and improve public access infrastructure and amenity
- Improvements to the health and ecological value of the Swan River
- Restoration of riparian vegetation
- Successful management of acid sulfate soils